You can’t go to Sri Lanka without climbing the Sigiriya Rock. As one of the most famous tourist attractions in Sri Lanka, the more than 2000 years old Lion rock is one of the Eighth Wonders of the World (unofficial) and an official UNESCO heritage. The lion rock used to be for the old king of Sri Lanka.
Prepare yourself for a little excise, because the staircase had around 1200 steps. It will take around 45-50 mins to reach the top. Make sure you bring some water and suncream with you. In some areas, pictures are not allowed and the security even might take your camera. Please be respectful at this holy place.
Once we were on the top, the 360 degree view was really incredible, just the wind was blowing quite strong. I couldn’t imagine how people could build this such a long time ago.
BEST TIME TO CLIMB SIGIRIYA ROCK
They open from 7:00am-5:30pm and I suggest you to go at 7am so it will be less sun heat and you can avoid a lot of tourists.
THE COST OF SIGIRYA ROCK
The entrance fee for foreigners is $30 USD
- Prepare comfortable walking shoes
- Better go as early as possible, else a lot of tourist and too strong sun
- Make sure you bring water
- The ticket centre accepted cash only
- Be aware of the “no photo signs”. It is really strongly forbidden to take pictures in some of the spots
- The full trip is around 2-3 hours, starting from buying the ticket, going up and down again